The Best Kids Wheelchair In 2020
When it comes to wheelchairs, children have different needs than adults. Aesthetically, wheelchairs designed for kids are often colorful and sleek. Functionally, they are lightweight and adjustable. Young children do not stay the same size forever, and since a wheelchair is such an important purchase, buy something they can grow with. Therefore, the best children’s wheelchair for sale should feature a seat and width with adjustable features.
Are you looking for a great kids wheelchair bargain? Then check out today’s top deals below. Or to read our guide and tips on buying kids wheelchair equipment, please click here.
One thing that you must know is that kids wheelchairs are not just the child-sized versions of adults wheelchairs. They come with a range of other things that are specifically designed for teens and kids special needs. Whether your kid needs a wheelchair for full-time use, long term support or to temporarily recover from an injury, the children’s wheelchairs special needs will provide them with postural control and helpful support even as they encourage freedom and independence. Because of their simplicity, most parents always choose to have at least one manual wheelchair for their kids. This makes them a versatile option for use both outdoors and indoors. If you are looking for the best kids electric wheelchair, click here to read our in-depth review.
Why kids need a wheelchair and some of the benefits of kids wheelchair
At first glance, not every child with a disability needs a wheelchair. What’s important is whether the wheelchair will help them interact with other people and take part in other activities that they should be doing in life. In most instances, it’s not easy to transport children with disability in a normal wheelchair. Since these wheelchairs do not come with enough support, the child often droops hence cannot sit stably and safely in it. With the help of kids wheelchair and positioning aids such as a headrest, cushions, upper body belts, and high back, the child gets support and stability when they are sitting upright. This means with the best child’s wheelchair and kids wheelchair accessories, you can avoid postural damage as early as possible. Here are some more reasons why kids need a wheelchair.
• The first contact with aids. Quite often, the kid’s wheelchair is among the first aids to be used even when the diagnosis of the condition is not yet clear. It’s, therefore, the first thing to use when many caregivers or parent are still not familiar with the issue. Medical suppliers and pediatricians can help in the choosing and the supply of the best wheelchair for the kid.
• Children with special needs. Because of their disabilities such as spinal cord injuries, some kids need to be carried while lying down all the time. Most commercial wheelchairs do not come with these possibilities for the children. This is why it’s important to look for the best kids wheelchair. In which the seat can be converted into a form of bed that the kid can use to lie on. More so medical equipment such aspirator or oxygen tank can be placed on a special shelf under the seat to be used by the kids.
• Older children. If the kid cannot operate a wheelchair by him or herself, a pediatric wheelchair can significantly help them. Even those who can walk on their own for a very short distance such as the ones with mental retardation will need a wheelchair to help them. This type of wheelchairs will come with a slightly reclining position for resting or roof to shield them in case of such.
• It encourages interaction and socialization. The right wheelchair for the kid also encourages interaction with friends and family members thus making them participate in every day’s life activity. This will eventually improve the lives of both the child and the adult.
Types of kids wheelchairs
There are different kinds of kids wheelchairs that include growing chairs for small children, small child wheelchairs and specialty chairs for kids with special needs. It’s, therefore, important to know the condition of the kid before choosing the best one. Discussed below are the different types of kids wheelchairs.
Manual wheelchairs are available in several styles and types. While most of them are propelled using special arms, there are some with a Hemi or lower frames that are designed to be propelled using arm length. Since these wheelchairs range in prices, their prices are always affected by several factors including the options selected and the kind of customs that they come with
Small kids wheelchairs
These wheelchairs are generally designed for children who are under six years of age or those who have similar weight and height. Some small kids models have also scaled-down versions of the normal wheelchairs used by adults, while other models address social concerns that the kids may be having. Small kids wheelchairs and children’s wheelchair accessories are always available in a selection of accessories, options, and custom modifications.
Junior growing chairs
These wheelchairs are meant for children who are six years and above. They are made in such a way that they will meet the needs of the kids as they grow.
When it comes to replacing the chair, insurance providers often place some limitations on how often the chairs may be replaced. Due to this, buying a new chair every year can be financially prohibitive. Chairs with growth kits or growth chairs allow some adjustments to be made on them as the kids grow so that they can accommodate the changes that often occur on their bodies. More so, designers are also increasingly responding by making chairs that fit more comfortably into the changing situations of the kids. While others provide a selection of upholstery and frame colors, some of them are more streamlined in their appearance.
Lightweight or sports wheelchairs
These wheelchairs refer to the ones with light frames. Originally developed for sports, these chairs have increasingly become popular because they promote independence and offer sportier appearance. While some companies provide chairs that are specifically meant for racing, many lightweight versions are meant for daily use. Most of these wheelchairs come with a rigid frame with quick-release wheels and folding back for storage and transport. Also, these wheelchairs have low back and are used without armrest. Without wheels and leg rest, these chairs typically weigh less than 30 pounds. Many wheelchair manufacturers, therefore, offers one or more sports or light wheelchairs for the kids. Some models come with light frames, some have folding frames while others offer different choices so you can choose the one that suits your kid’s needs.
Everyday standard wheelchairs
Standard wheelchairs are the more traditional wheelchairs used. Featuring a swing away footrest, folding cross-bay frame, detachable or fixed armrest and high back with push handles, these chairs enables someone else other than the child to help push them around. In most instances, they are also available in a wide variety of options, features and custom modifications that you can sue. If you are looking for the most affordable children’s wheelchairs UK for your kid they are the best.
Specialty wheelchairs refer to the wheelchairs that meet the specific needs of the kids. In some instances, they come with a specification that can be put on a normal wheelchair. Some come with modified wheel axle drives to allow a person with disability or amputee to propel the wheelchair on one end.
For instance, a child who wants to stand may also be interested in a wheelchair that’s equipped with a lift to rise to a standing position. Similarly, several companies offer reclining wheelchairs for those who cannot remain standing for long. There are also others which will allow the child to pursue other interests such as wheelchair sports or even racing with a lot of ease.
Powered kids wheelchair
This is also another invention in kids wheelchair for sale. Until recently it was thought that kids did not have the necessary skills required to use a powered wheelchair. It was even thought that powered wheelchair may inhibit the development of other skills in them. The current research has however shown that just like any other skill, with proper practice when children are supervised well they can operate these wheelchairs with a lot of ease. However, powered selection requires some considerations that must be net for one to end up with the best wheelchair.
Nowadays, manufacturers are also coming up with special scooters or three-wheelers for children. As compared to other powered wheelchairs, these are quite affordable types. However, it’s important to know that not all children will be able to use these wheelchairs. Scooters generally require the children to have strong upper body and arm function. They should also be able to support themselves in a seated or upright position for an extended period. The scooter can be the best alternative for a child with some walking disability who requires an extended range of mobility. However, it’s also important to note that some wheelchair lifts are not meant to be used with these scooters. Overall, scooters provide optional features such as crutch, carrying basket, seat belts, powered seats, padded seats, and armrests. These are also some models that offer headlights, key lock starters and, horns and tail lights.
For very young children or the ones who cannot push themselves, a stroller may be the best alternative for them. Depending on the manufacturers, axles to allow for easy removal, choice of upholstery or and accessories may be available for the children. Generally, strollers are available to meet a wide range of needs that the kids may have. Both the conventional and all-terrain strollers may also fold up for easy transport thus making them the best if you regularly travel with your kid.
Check out today’s top 10 kids wheelchair deals below…
- Cutting-edge wheelchair design makes independent mobility enjoyable. Width open with 20 inch seat is 26 inch
- Detachable desk arms and premium swing-away leg rests provide customizable support. Seat-To-floor Height- 19.5 inches
- 18" padded nylon wheelchair seat ensures lasting comfort and is easy to clean
- Durable tires feature push-to-lock functionality for safety. Comes with calf strap
- Overall Dimensions: 42"(L) x 24"(W) x 36"(H); Closed Width: 12.5"; Seat Dimensions: 16"(D) x 18"(W) x 19.5"(H); Armrest Height: 8"; Weight Capacity: 250 lbs
- Wheelchairs & Accessories
- K3 Wheelchair Ltwt 18 w/DFA & ELR's Cruiser III
- Made in: United States
- The Medline Excel Pediatric Wheelchair is a great option for kids and children
- Telescoping handles adjust up or down for caregiver comfort
- Arm Style: Swing Back Desk Length Removable | Leg Style: Detachable Elevating Leg rest
- Durable and easy to clean vinyl upholstery. Latex free
- Seat Dimensions: 14" W x 12" D | Weight Capacity: 250 lbs | Weight without Leg rests: 25 lbs
- Durable steel frame provides reliable stability when using independently or with assistance
- Superior maneuverability in narrow indoor layouts
- Cushioned armrests and swing away footrests ensure comfort
- Chair and backrest fold flat for easy transportation
- Nylon seat upholstery is simple to clean
- PRACTICAL DESIGN WITH EYE-CATCHING COLORS: Circle Specialty brings you the Ziggo lightweight wheelchair designed for kids and young adults. With a foldable design that makes it easy to carry and store, an ultra-lightweight body and eye-catching colors, the Ziggo wheelchair delivers on all fronts.
- SMART FEATURES FOR EVERY-DAY CONVENIENCE: The Ziggo wheelchair comes packed with quality-of-life enhancing features: A secure pelvic belt buckle and flip-back, padded desk-length armrests. Our height adjustable footrests sport a swing- away design for added practicality along with calf straps for additional support and comfort.
- COMFORTABLE DAILY USE: Our pediatric wheelchair features a highly comfy nylon upholstery with a smart back pocket where you can store items for your every-day needs. The upholstery remains breathable and is soft to the touch, making it a perfect choice for daily use.
- OPTIONAL ACCESSORIES: Catering to your positioning needs and preferences, Circle Specialty offers a variety of accessories designed to increase comfort, promote posture, support and improve mobility. Installation is simple and easy to remove or add as your needs change. Accessories include a padded trunk harness with adjustable straps, height, depth and angle adjustable headrest, seat cushions anti-tippers and height, length and angle-adjustable swing-away elevating legrests with padded calf pad
- CREATED TO LAST: Ensuring its longevity, the high-end welds keep the steel frame intact and will offer a secure, safe, and dependable means of transportation for a long time to come. The back wheels sport a quick-release feature along with premium, treaded PU tires while the front wheels boast a sturdy PVC construction. 3 Year Limited Warranty.
- Powder coated silver vein steel frame with nylon upholstery is durable, lightweight, attractive, and easy to clean
- Urethane tires mounted on composite wheels provide durability and low maintenance; Comes with push to lock wheel locks
- Padded arms for comfort and a carry pocket on backrest provides additional convenience
- Folding back canes for transport and storage; Plastic foot plates
- Weight Capacity: 250 lbs
- LIGHTWEIGHT WHEELCHAIR. Lightweight aluminum construction, weight only 20 lbs. Very durable, perfect wheelchairs for adults weighing up to 250lbs. Ultra lightweight design makes this chair a perfect transport wheelchair.
- FOLDING WHEELCHAIR. Flared handles handy back-release hinge and removable tool-free swing-away composite footrests with heel loops allow the back to fold down flat and compact for easy storage and transport.
- COMFORTABLE. Wheel chair has padded full-length permanent armrests with nylon upholstery. Wheelchair is very comfortable, ultra lightweight and easy to clean.
- DURABLE WHEELCHAIR. Composite 8” wheels that lock in the back. Wheels are solid rubber and are lightweight and maintenance free. Rear wheel locks are push-to-lock and easy to activate. Durability makes it one of the leaders in transport chairs.
- FOLDING WHEELCHAIR. Going on a long drive? This portable wheelchair is a perfect travel wheelchair because it is easily foldable and fits easily in the trunk of your car.
- One of the lightest wheelchairs you can buy! Strong magnesium alloy frame provides stability while remaining lightweight. Great for all kinds of travel, it can be easily checked on the airplane and loaded aboard in the cargo compartment
- Swing-away leg rests and adjustable arm rests allow user to sit closer to tables and desks while the footrests can be completely removed if needed
- Folds down to a small 32 x 13 x 28 inch space, easily fitting in most vehicles or storage. No tools and virtually no assembly required. Simply attach the footrests and back safety rollers and you are done
- Durable and light weight nylon upholstery looks great and is easy to clean. Built in seat belt for additional safety
- Seat width is 18”. Total assembled weight is 21lbs. Before ordering, please check your door width to ensure to ensure wheelchair will fit through home doors. Includes a 1 year frame and components warranty against defects
- Weighs only 19 lbs. Seat Dimensions 19 W x 16 D inches. Overall Width 22 inch (open),10.75 inch (closed)
- Folds flat for easy transport; Handy lever on chair back makes it easy and convenient to fold back down
- Comes with seat belt
- Companion activated wheel locks
- 12" flat free rear wheels
- The wheelchair has a sturdy steel frame for durability. The seat and backrest are made of soft, custom PVC material to ensure a comfortable fit.
- Folding and portable can be placed behind the car, saving space, boarding and portable, gift wheel travel bag, convenient, shock absorber bracket contains shock absorber spring, rear self-braking, safe and reliable.
- Suitable for postoperative rehabilitation, elderly, adults, pregnant women, adolescents, leg discomfort, disabled, patients, autumn wounds, osteoporosis patients.
- The back of the hand can be non-slip, detachable, safe to use and save space. The soft armrests rest comfortably. Ideal for travel, you can let your child lie down.
- If you are not satisfied, please contact us and we will provide you with 24-hour service.
usa.bestsellers.bargains is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com - Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.
Tip tips for buying the best kids wheelchair
To choose the best wheelchair for kids for sale, there are aspects that parents and caregivers must take into consideration. From the lifestyle to the kind of activity that the kid is involved in, the disability to the needs of the kids, these factors are very important. Wheelchair for sports, wheelchair dimensions, and the best ones for schools are also other things that must be considered. Here are some more tips to help you choose the best wheelchair for the kid
• Size. When shopping for the best kid wheelchair, it’s very important to consider the size of the kid. While looking for the best fit for the kid it’s also important to look for the best size based on the size and weight of the kid.
• Ask the caregiver. You may be aware that your kid needs kids wheelchair to buy you are not sure how to make the right choice. It’s, therefore, very important to seek advice from your doctor who will advise you on the best choice to be made. The doctor will also let you know whether it’s necessary to buy kids wheelchair.
• Know the type of wheelchair. Choosing between electric and manual wheelchairs for a child involves cost, lifestyle, needs, and other aspects. So, it’s very important to know the type of wheelchair that you are looking for based on these.
• The weight of the wheelchair. Regardless if ultra-weight or lightweight, these types of wheelchair can be found in electric in manual and any type of and styles in between. The main difference between ultra-weight and lightweight is the material used that result in durability. While lightweight chairs are made of aluminum, ultra weight chairs are made of a variety of materials from carbon fiber, aluminum or even a combination of both.
• Where to buy the wheelchair. It’s also important to know where to buy the kids wheelchair. For instance, if you want to have a chance to test the wheelchair you need to buy it in person. However, provided you are not in a hurry it’s not a bad idea to buy the wheelchair online.
• Get your tape measure ready when looking for a wheelchair. When looking for a wheelchair it’s very important to get ready with your tape measure so that when you are choosing the one you can make sure everything is perfect. Some of the things that you need to check include depth, height, width, armrest, and footrests.
Kids wheelchairs are not necessarily child versions of adults wheelchairs. They come with a range of options that are specifically designed for teens and kids with unique needs. When looking for the best kids wheelchair, it’s important to keep any that you find inside a basket so you can review it later. This way, you’ll end up choosing the best one.