Best First Aid Kit In 2020
In one way or the other, everyone needs a first aid kit. A first aid kit is not only one of the most important things to have but can also be live saving, especially during an emergency. For instance, if the condition of the patient is likely to worsen before you reach the hospital, having a first aid kit and being prepared can be a lifesaver. Regardless of the person staying in your home, it’s very important to have a first aid kit.
Are you looking for a great first aid kit bargain? Then check out today’s top deals below. Or to read our guide and tips on buying first aid kit, please click here.
Although what you need inside the kit depends on your level of training, some basic things must always be put in the first aid kit. If you are shopping for the best first aid kit, click here to read our detailed review about some of the best first aid kits.
Benefits of first aid kit
• Minimize infections. Although you cannot always prevent your family from getting hurt, with the best first aid kit, you can help them when they get injured. By giving them first aid treatment, you can significantly reduce the severity of the injury.
• You can use the kit to give aid before the medical help arrives. With a first aid kit, you can always provide help before any medical help arrives. While the kit is not supposed to cure the injury or the ailment, it provides the basic treatment for the patient.
• Preventing injury from turning chronic. A small collision in the kitchen or one wrong step in the stairs can easily lead to a serious injury. Thankfully, with first aid kit, it’s quite possible to minimize the severity of this injury when it happens.
• First aid kit can prevent blood loss. What do you do when someone inside the house accidentally obtains an ailment and is bleeding? Having a first aid kit will provide you with the necessary materials that you need to form a blood clot to prevent further bleeding.
• Get emergency medical supply. If you are looking for emergency medical suppliers, then first aid kit is the best source. Regardless of the emergency requirement that happens in your home, you can always handle it with the right medical suppliers inside the kit.
• Ability to assist during an emergency. If someone suffers from a health-related issue or ingest the harmful substance, a first aid kit will become one of the most important household items. This is why all homes should always strive to have them.
Types of first aid kits
Nowadays, there are different types of first aid kits in the market. Here are some of the most types.
• Home first aid kits. This kind of first aid kit is normally used at home. Some of the things found in this kit include tweezers, alcohol wipes, antiseptic hand cleaner, insect bite swabs, triangular bandages, instant cold packs, among others.
• Sports first aid kit. The main focus of this first aid kit is the orthopedic injuries. It contains suppliers such as cold packs, compression packages, among other things depending on the size of the group.
• Camping or adventure first aid kit. These first aid kit containers materials that may be needed in the wilderness. The materials normally depend on how far you are planning to go.
• Medical first aid kit. These first aid kits contain suppliers specializing in medical equipment that can be used to handle heart attacks and other items that are applicable for both adults and kids.
• Survival first aid kit. These kits include all the items that can be deployed, especially in a difficult situation. These items include items such as clothing agents, tourniquets, and other materials that can be used to dress the wound. Others include travel first aid kit, tactical first aid kit, backpacking first aid kit, among others.
First aid kit checklist
Whether you are staying at home or moving , it’s very important to get a fully stocked first aid kit to help you take care of minor injuries and accidents. At all times, you need to keep your first aid kit in a cool, dry place out of reach of children. Here are what to put in a first aid kit.
• Different shapes and sizes of plasters.
• Different sizes of sterile gauze dressing.
• A minimum of 2 sterilized eye dressing
• Safety pins.
• Triangular bandages.
• Sticky tape.
• Alcohol-free cleansing wipes.
• Digital thermometer.
• Antiseptic cream
• Spray or cream to relieve stings and insect bites.
• Hydrocortisone skin rash cream.
• Cough medicine.
• Painkillers such as paracetamol.
• Antihistamine cream or tablets.
• Distilled water.
• Eye bath and eye wash.
These are the most important first aid kit essentials. Apart from these, you may also need to include first aid instruction or manual booklet inside the kit. More you should regularly check the medicines to ensure that they’ve not expired.
How to make a first aid kit
• Choose a good container. When it comes to choosing a good container, you can go for water resistant, a translucent or flexible container with either a latch top lid or zipper closure. Some of the best options include a backpack, lunchboxes, or something easy to transport if there is an emergency.
• Make the kit safely accessible. You don’t want your first aid kit buried deep somewhere, especially when you have an emergency. You, therefore, need to establish a very good spot for your kit and let everyone in the house know the location.
• Educate your family about the kit. It’s critical that everyone in your house knows how to use the first aid kit. For young children, just show them where it is so they can show a visitor or an older person in case there is an emergency. You should also include a first aid kit booklet such as the one found inside the American RedCross first aid kit.
• Ensure that your kit is up to date. One of the worst things is to a fetch first aid kit only to realize that its empty or some emergency drugs have expired. You, therefore, need to keep track of the expiry dates and all the supplies inside the kit.
• Create a first aid checklist. You also need to have a first aid checklist within the kit. You need to record everything inside the kit and keep it somewhere so that when something is not there, you can always restock as soon as possible.
• Stock the kit with all the basic medical tools and medical supplies. It’s important to have everything that you need within the first aid kit.
• Have a different section for medication. Make sure you separate the medications from supplies such as gauze, bandages, among others.
• Personalize it with family medication. You also need to stock small doses of family prescriptions medicines, especially in car or travel first aid kits. More so, ensure that you always have a travel car kit. If you are going outdoors, make sure you make a first aid kit.
Check out today’s top 10 first aid kit deals below…
Top tips for buying the best first aid kit
The best first aid kit should always be part of any backpacking, hiking, and camping essential lists. Apart from that, it should be a must-have item in your car, home, off road hunting vehicle and fishing boat. Although first aid kits have been around for over a century, they’ve significantly grown in effectiveness over the years. Here are the key tips to help you buy the best one
• Experience. One of the most important considerations when it comes to buying first aid kit is your level of experience. You need to go for a kit that contains only the items that you can comfortably use. The more the experience you have, the more the number of items that should be in the kit.
• Intended use. You also need to consider the scenarios that you are likely to use your kit in. For instance, the kit used by fisherman may not be the same as the one needed by a traveler or backpacker. Your expected use will have a huge impact on the type of kit that you ultimately need.
• Budget. Since first aid kits come in a variety of sizes and shapes, you should choose one based on your budget. Comprehensive and more expensive varieties are usually meant for medical personnel.
• The supplies that you need. It’s also important to have a list of the kind of suppliers that you need.
As a parting shot, the first aid kit usually comes in handy for thousands of people each year. When an emergency need arises, you need always to be prepared. If you are looking for the best first kit, it’s advisable to keep the one you’ve identified inside your basket so you can review later.